Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Volunteering and temp

So last week before my interview, I had to take a skills test - you know, the ones that test your Word skills, Excel skills, and typing speed. Well, I did great in Word and typing, but Excel... I couldn't even remember a simple formula! I felt so embarrassed! Luckily I took the test at home - no one was able to see me cower under my covers at the horror of the mistakes I made.
What they say is true - use it or lose it. It's been less than a year, and I lost most of it.
So as soon as I left, I went to my old job at Habitat and signed up to volunteer. I need to do something.
Then of course, I find out that the Excel test must not have mattered - I got the temp position. I start on Monday.

When I first moved here to Charlotte, I wasn't working, so I started a temp position. Unfortunately, that was around the same time I found out that I had an autoimmune disease (I have Psoriatic Arthritis - yes, the Phil Mickelson disease), and they wouldn't allow me to take a day off to get my eye - that was in serious pain- checked by the doctor. So after three weeks, I had to leave. I wasn't happy.

Anyway, this position is only 3-6 months... hopefully I find something permanent while I'm there. I have a few irons in the fire, so we'll see.

As far as my eating today, I finally had some "sweets". I got Paleo approved chocolate chips, and made some Paleo inspired chocolate chip cookies. I got the recipe from Livin' Paleo Cuisine. They taste like a healthy cookie, but in a good way, The batter would be good as a muffin - I wonder if I add baking powder and egg...
Maybe another day...

Breakfast around here is usually just egg, meat, and a piece of fruit. I had pineapples today as my fruit. 

Lunch was simple as well. I had sauteed zucchini and squash with shrimp over the last of the caulirice from yesterday. 

Dinner was a recipe from Smile Sandwich - Amish One-Pan ground beef and cabbage. It's pretty much a deconstructed cabbage roll without rice - and I used ground turkey. Everyone loved it. 



Someone commented on how much money we may have with the food we're eating. I don't spend much. I can't buy all organic yet, so I have to make do with what I can get. Take dinner - I shop at Aldi's, get their ground turkey. The cans of tomato sauce are 25 cents, and the diced tomatoes are 59 cents. You can always find cheap cabbage, That's it. A meal for 5 for under $3! You just have to make it work.
DON'T think you can't do this diet because you have a limited budget. One of the things my doctor said was because you don't have to buy so many sides and sauces, you can spend that money on the things you need. It's doable on every budget. Try it for two weeks... see how you like it.
Oh, and Trader Joe's is your friend as well.

Thanks all!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your tips Les...I am going to really try Paleo...I eat these things separately so I am going to try this lifestyle. I am going to start with caulirice.

    ReplyDelete